Exercise is vital for our mental and physical health, and is arguably more important than ever during periods of self-isolation. Since everyone is under quarantine and leaving your house is permitted for essential reasons, playing table tennis is not possible. Table Tennis is not a straight forward sport and requires mind, body and technique in balance for playing in good condition. Exercises for your body are very important and healthy body will allow you to keep your game in top notch condition even after the quarantine.
Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.
Let’s take a look at some of the exercises that will allow you to take care of your body and also keep your body ready for playing table tennis after quarantine :-
Table Tennis Exercises
- Shadow Practice: Stand in front of a mirror and take a proper playing position. Hold your racket playing hand and start hitting counter strokes with proper footwork. This will help you improve your technique.
- Play with Wall: Playing with wall is fun when you start hitting the ball with topspin towards the Wall and the wall returns the ball. This allows you to hit the ball in continuos motion and help in improving your topspin.
- Side-to-Side movements: Table Tennis is a sport where lateral movement of the body is really high. Do lateral shifts of your body quickly and do as many reps as possible.
- Serve Practice: One of the best thing about serve practice is you can do it alone. Grab a bag of table tennis balls and start practicing and improving the quality of your serves.
- Practice with Ping Pong Robot: Well if you have a Ping Ping Robot, than you are really lucky as you can practice counters, topspin, chopping with the robot.
Full Body Exercises
- Standing broad jumps: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, knees bent. Jump forward, bending your knees to cushion your landing, ending in a deep squat position. Take a few steps back to the starting position and repeat. Do 1 set of 20 reps.
- Alternating knee strike: Stand tall, feet shoulder-width apart. Drive left knee up and forward, leaning upper-body back about 45 degrees and driving from hips. Return to start and repeat with the other knee. Do 1 set of 50 reps.
- Air squat: Stand with feet hip-width apart, lower hips to floor, and return to standing, driving heels into floor. Do 1 set of 30 reps.
Train your mind
Table Tennis requires extreme reflexes and concentration. Yoga and meditation are really helpful to calm your mind and it helps you increase concentration. Their is a famous quotation by Bobby Fischer about Table Tennis.
Table tennis is like running the 100 meters while playing chess at the same time
So don’t skip training your mind, practice Yoga for strengthening your mind.
These are the exercises that will keep you really fit and help you strengthen your body for playing table tennis once the quarantine is over.
Well if you have a cat, than you have a great playing partner
Follow our Instagram - tabletenniscrunch or Twitter - TT_Crunch for regular updates.